Social Care Employee Engagement Survey
Tri-partite coalition to tackle critical social care workforce challenges
The two leading organisations representing not for-profit providers, the Voluntary Organisations Disability Group and the National Care Forum, have joined forces with Agenda Consulting to tackle social care workforce challenges.
In an environment of tight financial constraints, the social care sector is managing significant recruitment and retention issues. The turnover of staff is adding unnecessary costs into the system, when we know a highly engaged workforce leads to lower turnover and absence, higher levels of performance and better services for people supported.
To directly tackle these issues the Social Care Employee Engagement Survey will provide deep insight into what influences workforce engagement in social care in order for organisations to better plan and develop their workforce. The survey has been shaped by a reference group of leading experts, comprising HR directors across the VODG and NCF membership.
Des Kelly OBE, Executive Director, NCF said, “NCF is pleased to be working with experts Agenda Consulting (and in partnership with VODG) to develop an employee engagement survey, which will support our members and complement our other HR benchmarking survey work.”
Dr Rhidian Hughes, Chief Executive, VODG added, “Workforce issues, including the recruitment and retention of staff, are some of the greatest challenges facing social care and disability services. All organisations need an informed starting point as to what engages and motivates staff. The valuable insight and evidence collected through the Social Care Engagement Survey will help organisations to further develop strategies and tactics.”
Roger Parry, Director, Agenda Consulting said, “Having conducted almost 60 employee surveys with over 30 social care organisations, we appreciate the importance of identifying what influences engagement and acting on the feedback from employees. We are delighted to work with NCF and VODG to provide deeper insight into engagement and help organisations to improve performance and service in social care.”
The survey offers a new approach, which:
- Is designed specifically for the social care sector and offers a range of cost-effective packages
- Enables the organisations to compare their results with similar social care organisations
- Includes some mandatory questions and some questions relating to regulators’ quality frameworks
- Allows organisations to use their own questions and demographics
- Enables organisations to choose their own timing
- Contributes to sector-wide research on factors influencing engagement in social care
- Provides an annual sector-wide report, analysing the results overall and by service type and client group
Notes for editors
- The National Minimum Data Set for Social Care, managed by Skills for Care, reports an overall turnover rate of 25.4% (equating to around 300,000 workers leaving their role each year) in the adult social care sector in England.
- The National Care Forum supports organisations providing care and support services throughout the UK. NCF promotes the benefits of the not-for-profit model of care services provision. NCF members are not-for-profit organisations, providing quality care and support services. NCF has been promoting quality care through the not-for-profit care sector for 20 years and has become a leading voice in the sector. NCF has more than 90 member organisations providing care and support services across the UK.
- The Voluntary Organisations Disability Group is represents over 80 leading voluntary sector and not-for-profit disability organisations. It works on behalf of its members to influence and develop social care policy, build relationships with government and other key agencies, promote best practice and keep members up-to-date on matters that have an effect on service delivery.
- Agenda Consulting is a research consultancy helping not-for-profit organisations to achieve their mission through better understanding of their people and offers:
- Employee and volunteer engagement surveys
- HR, workforce and volunteer management benchmarking studies
- Social care reward benchmarking study
- Consultancy on engagement, reward, people strategy
- Follow the project hashtag #SocialCareEngagement via @AgendaConsult @NCFCareForum @VODGmembership
Clare Harris, Head of Business Development, Agenda Consulting
01865 263720 firstname.lastname@example.org
Des Kelly OBE, Executive Director, National Care Forum
0247 624 3619 email@example.com
Dr Rhidian Hughes, Chief Executive, Voluntary Organisations Disability Group
0793 113 1724 firstname.lastname@example.org